Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Bite Lip Lab

Bite is a Canadian cosmetics company specializing in all things lips. A while back I read about the Bite Lip Lab in NYC (here). Well, lucky me, I just had a vacation to the Empire State over Labor Day weekend and this was a stop on my "to-do" list! My friend Micah and I were lucky enough to squeeze in an appointment right before we left to come back home (a word of advice: make an appointment ahead of time).

There are a few steps in creating your custom color:
1. Tell them what you're looking for.
I was going for a pink shade with a hint of nude and a little shimmer. After about 3 different concoctions, we found the right shade!

2. Pick the scent.
There were a few to choose from, like vanilla, cherry, lavender, mint ... I went for citrus mango. Delicious!

3. Pick your lipstick tube.
They had 4 different lip containers to choose from- rounded, pointy, slanted. A small detail, but fun to pick out!

After those decisions are made, the science project begins. They combine the different shades to make your custom color into a cup and melt the colors together, then place the cup in a centrifuge to blend them evenly. Next, they pour the melted color into a mold and freeze it for about 5 minutes, then put the new lipstick into the tube. Voila! Pretty cool to watch the whole process in person. This was such a fun experience, I love my new shade, and the lipstick is super moisturizing. Definitely check it out if you happen to be in NYC!



No comments:

Post a Comment