Tuesday, July 8, 2014

8 Products for Healthy, Shiny Hair


Here's a list of products I keep in my hair care arsenal to help my mane stay shiny, healthy, growing, and manageable. These work great for me, but experiment with different brands to see what you like best! Aside from these products, read my post about six hair habits (here) to keep your hair strong and healthy.

1. Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo. I've used this for years. First, because it's like $1.97. Score! Second, it's a good clarifying shampoo to use every couple weeks. Tip: Also use this to wash your face occasionally. I've been doing it for years with respectable results.

2. Davines OI Shampoo. Holy smells amazing! I was first introduced to Davines in my Birchbox. I was pleasantly surprised with the results. Smooth, sleek, and awesome. It's not the cheapest, but it sure is nice.

3. Davines OI Conditioner. See number 2. Duos are best: Captain and Tenille, Salt and Pepper, Left and Right, Shampoo and Conditioner. 

4. Biosilk Silk Therapy. A friend gave me a sample of this stuff 5 years ago and I fell in love. The smell is wonderful and it smoothes my hair like nothing else. I've tried lots of "frizz ease" type products but this takes the cake. Tip: Only use it on the mid-end section of your hair, not on your scalp. And use sparingly, just a dime size amount.

5. Dove Dry Shampoo. I wash my hair about two-three times per week. For those of you with bangs, those probably need to be washed everyday, but the rest of your hair can manage to wait. This dry shampoo, or any dry shampoo, can work wonders with hair that is looking a little bleh. It's a spray powder that absorbs the excess oils. Try it out. It really does help! 

6. Creaseless Hair Ties. Better than regular elastics because they don't leave crimps in your hair (which helps with the less washing thing), are less likely to get stuck and pull hair out, and they double as a cute bracelet. Remember scrunchies in the early 90's? These are the latest not-so-in-your-face version of that hair accessory. 

7. Biotin. B complex vitamin that helps with hair, skin, and nails. This is a great supplement to go along with a healthy diet. I have noticed improvements with my nails and hair, but not so much with my skin. 

8. Prenatal Vitamins. The claims that prenatal vitamins grow hair and nails is unproven, but of all the products I use this has made the biggest difference in length. Some articles advise against these vitamins if you're not trying to get pregnant or if you aren't pregnant, but I say talk to your doctor for a second opinion rather than relying on the internet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment