Thursday, September 19, 2013

Oatmeal On The Go

fresh cut fruit, oatmeal on the goI have a confession. I used to drink hot chocolate each morning, even during the summer ... in Phoenix. Yikes. Luckily, I've wised up a bit and have tried to come up with some healthy, low-maintenance solutions. My favorite go-to breakfast is oatmeal because it's filling and healthy. Quaker Oatmeal has done a great job with its individual oatmeal packets, but there's a cheaper solution. I make my own packets at home. You can buy a pound of quick cooking oats for $0.98 at your local Sprouts. What a deal! Here's what I do:

1. Fill small ziploc snack bags with 1/2 cup of quick cooking oats. (I usually put together about five packs at a time, but do as many or little as you need).
2. Fill another ziploc snack bag with dried fruits and nuts. (I like chopped pecans, craisins, and raisins).
3. When you're ready to eat, pour the individual bag of oats into a small bowl or mug. Then, pour hot water over the oats until they are just covered.
4. Heat in the microwave for one minute.
5. While the oats are cooking, cut up fresh fruit to add to the oatmeal. My favorite fruits to add are sliced strawberries, apples, or blueberries.
6. Stir in the fresh fruits, dried fruits, and nuts into the oatmeal.

The fruit gives the oatmeal enough natural flavor and sweetness that you don't need to add sugar. Save the calories! If you want a little more zing, try adding some spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, or pumpkin pie spice. You can add the spices during step 1 so it's ready to go.
Oatmeal on the gooatmeal on the go, quick breakfastmicrowave oatmeal

No comments:

Post a Comment